Monday, August 25, 2014

FOOSH

Hello everyone!

So I will start out with the turn of events that occured on Friday evening while on a kokan (splits? exchanges).  So we got a last minute lesson and were heading out to teach it.  I hoped on my brand new bike (yes dad, it helps the knees)  and we were maybe 1 minute from our apartment when I saw a nasty huge bug on my bike.  Not a fan.  So naturally, I tried to kick it off.  Well, in attempts to kick it, my foot got stuck in the tire and I flew over the handle bars.  I caught myself though... I rolled over in some pain, but not a ton, stood up, and tried to get back on the bike.  To my dismay, the tire was disaligned, so my poor bike needs fixing.  But we got a member to pick us up and join in on the lesson.  The lesson was great!  It was with Junior (a brazilian).  The Spirit was so strong in the lesson.  He knows this church is true, but he gets held up by how we worship and that he cant really speak Japanese (the church he goes to now has all brazilians).  Anyway, he showed us a video of a time he sang and played his guitar at his church.  The congregation was standing and waving their arms and singing randomly "Hallelujah!"  Ive seen videos like that before, but it was so weird this time I watched it.  The Spirit immediately left the room and the video just looked dark.  It was weird, but just another little reminder that this is the one and only true church.  Anyway, during the lesson, my arm started to hurt more and more.  My right arm hurt to move and my left arm was stuck at a 90 degree angle.  I thought it was just from shock, but the STL convinced me to call the doctor.  He didnt answer, but the pain kept intensifying (I refused to take ibuprofen)  so I had some members take me to the hospital.  The members were so helpful.  They dropped everything they were doing to help and stayed up late and were just so patient.  They were lifesavers!  Anyway, soon the mission doctor called and he said I had a FOOSH injure (fell on out-stretched arms).  I guess it is pretty common. Anyway they took x-rays on my arms and didnt find anything.  I didnt understand.  I nearly threw up and passed out due to pain and I couldnt move my arm the slightest with cringing, yet there was nothing wrong.  Do you know what these wonderful Japanese doctors suggested as treatment?  O-furu ni hairu...which means to take a bath.  I almost started laughing right there in the clinic it was so ridiculous.  No meds, nothing.  Just take a bath.  Scott, how often do you give that out as your only treatment?  Anyway, I did get a sling and that helped.  But today I went back in for another check-up and apparently I have a microfracture at the head of my forearm bone on the radial side (wow, I have a lot of brushing up to do when I get back).  So I have a little cast and it should be all healed up by next week.  Nothing too serious.  

Anyway, the rest of the week has been good.  The LA from last week took all of the missionaries out to sushi (still so gross) and then told us he was moving.  This guy is solid.  He is packing up everything and moving so he can have a job that doesnt force him to work on Sundays.  Thats dedication.  Also, yesterday I gave my second talk ever in Japan.  It went well.  I was assigned to talk on a lesson I learned from 1 Nephi.  I talked about the difference between Laman and Leumuel and Nephi and how we need to be grateful in times of trial.  I think it went okay, especially because I had a Nihonjin check the translation before I gave it.  

But thats really all for the week. Love you all and thanks for all the emails and support!

Love,
Ellsworth Shimai



No comments:

Post a Comment