Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bonjour...kidding Konnichiwa



Hi family!
 
So another week has gone by. Time goes by much faster in the field than it does in the MTC, thats for sure. Transfers are next week. My senior companion thinks Ill get a nihongin next transfer. Im a little scared for that, but it'll be good because I need to learn the language.
 
Anyway, last Monday, we got to go to Kiyomizudera. So beautiful!! I actually felt like I was in Japan, or the part of Japan that we think of. It was so pretty. T of Japan that we think of. It was so pretty. There were so many shops and I wanted to buy everything, but I don't want to lug it around. Therefore I am making a list of everything I have to buy before I leave. Mom and dad, if you are still planning on picking me up, you have to pack lightly so I can fill the rest of your space with my stuff. Also, besides the fact that they eat seafood and what not, another reason the Japanese are that they eat seafood and what not, another reason the Japanese are so healthy. Rather than selling hot dogs on the street at tourist places, they sell cucumbers on a stick. I thought that was interesting.
 
This week we ate at someones house, and I literally thought Heavenly Father was trying to kill me off.  I think I should have majored in dietetics after my mission.  So we went to their home.  It was a very traditional Japanese home.  Also, they are pack rats...to the extreme.  Laura you would hate it.  They have little houses and they are just filled with so much junk.  Anyway, so they decided to grill us meat and veggies.  They brought out their little skillet and to start off pulled off like 10 pieces of hair from it and then just put the food on it to start cooking it.  Then we pulled off even more while the food was cooking.  So disgusting!  Then I saw a spider run across the table.  Then to top it off, I had to eat octopus.  I about died.  You better believe I smothered that thing in sauce before I stuck it in my mouth.  I don't think I can survive much longer with all of this seafood. 
 
Anyway, this week we challenged an eternal investigator to baptism.  He was very hesitant, but he accepted.  This guy lived in Wisconsin for 6 years, so he brought pictures and books on Wisconsin for me to look at.  As you can probably imagine, I loved it.  But hes a great guy, but he has a lot of questions because he got a hold of some anti-mormon stuff.  So we have to get him back on track.
 
This week, while we were housing, a man from across the way came up to us and told us that the apartment complex we were at was no good because they were all old and buddhist.  He then offered us to come cool off at his house and grab something to drink.  Long and Shin shimai said no thanks, but I wondered why.  So a few minutes later, we went on a search for him.  We knew he was on the sixth floor of a certain apartment.  So we prayed to find him.  It was so cool because I got the revelation of the exact apartment he lived in- the number 614 flashed in my head. And sure enough, when we got to that door, he opened the door.  It really still continues to surprise me how much the Lord trusts me with revelation.  Anyway, we talked to him and said he was going to try to come to church, but didn't.  Then last night he called us (this never happens) and wanted to learn more.  This guy seems awesome.  We are just waiting for him to ask us when he can be baptized..just kidding.  But we were really excited to get his call.
 
Anyway, I think that is all for the week.  There is a dog near my apartment that sounds just like Jake, so often Ill be studying and have the urge to just say `JAAAKKKE  QUIET!!`  Also, just a side note, both of my companions received two letters last week and i got zero...just saying.  Anyway, I love you all and thank you for all of your support.  Dad I hope your recovery starts getting better and Laura and Derek, I hope you have a nice move out to Dallas- Im sure you'll love it there.  Also good luck with school!  Its just around the corner mom and Nate!  Ai shite imasu!
 
Love,
Martha (Ellsworth Shimai)

Kiyomizudera 

Me, Shin shimai, and Long Shimai 
Random shrine 
Octopus 

No comments:

Post a Comment