Monday, March 31, 2014

The Trees are Starting to Blossom!

March 2, 2014

Hello Everyone-
 
So this week  was good.  Still working hard and doing everything we can, so we can step back and watch a miracle occur.  Something will come about.  Anyway, this week Elder Whiting of the seventy came and spoke to our mission.  It was really good.  Both him and his wife served in Japan, so it was nice to have people talk to us who know what it is sort of like out here.  However, they said that we couldnt use that as an excuse.  He said that hastening the work meant hastening the work everywhere and not just in Mexico.  Anyway, he talked about how we need both power and authority to be able to carry out this work.  We already have the authority, so now we just need the power.  We went through examples of different prophets/missionaries throughout the Book of Mormon and New Testament and wrote down some traits we need to make sure we are working on.  Then he went over how we get the power.  He said it comes from the Holy Ghost.  He then went over the unique wording that is used when we recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost.  It says "Receive the Holy Ghost."  He emphasized the fact that it was our choice whether or not to receive it that day, and how we need to make a conscious effort to receive the Holy Ghost everyday of our lives.  He then talked about grace and the enabling power of the Atonement.  He says that the only way we can become better and become the person we want and need to be is through the power/grace of the atonement.  He said that same power is what is needed to change the hearts of our investigators.  This I had all heard before, but it always rings stronger and gets you more motivated to access that power and change when coming from the mouth of a general authority. 
 
Anyway, as for our mission training plan on focusing on Jesus Christ, that is still going well.  At first it was really hard to focus your thoughts, but it is getting easier as the days go by.  One thing I did to help was I switched the music we were listening to.  I have always loved music (some may laugh and not believe that statement- you know who you are) and like to listen to it as I am getting ready in the morning or when I am making dinner.  Ususally I just listen to a random shuffle of songs that mostly consist of EFY songs.  But this past week, I decided to only listen to the Mormon Tabernacle choir.  I didnt think it would, but it has made quite a difference.  I decided to give myslef a break and go back to EFY music one morning, and I was just groggy and not as focused as I was when I listened to the MoTab.  Good, better, and best.  I need to remember that although something is good or even better, I need to make sure that I am always choosing the best choice. 
 
Anyway, that was my week in a nutshell I think.  Love you all and thanks for all of your love and support!
 
Love,
Ellsworth Shimai


No comments:

Post a Comment