Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Hot, Humid, and Free Ice Cream!



Dearest Family,
 
I am so sorry to hear about Uncle Mike.  Ill make sure to keep them in my prayers.
 
My address is just the mission home address.  They forward it to us very promptly:
 
4-6-28
Shinohara Honmachi
Nada-Ku Kobe-Shi
Japan
657-0067
 
So here is how the week has been.  I had my first culture shock on Tuesday when I went to the grocery store.  In France I can kind of understand most words or guess, but I cant read kanji so I kind of freaked out.  Plus I was so scared everything would taste like seaweed or fish.  So Ive been a little homesick this week, but Im sure itll get better.  I seem to only be homesick when we are studying.  Once I am out working in the blazing sun, things are good.  I love coming home exhausted and sweaty.  It is so hot and humid hear.  (oh fyi, I have the tan futon- I didn't want to copy the other girls and I think it kind of looks like me).  But Japan does not have central air systems.  It is always so hot.  Luckily, we finally decided to turn on the Air comm system every few hours during the night so we could actually sleep.
 
So On Sunday, I led the lesson for the one investigator who has a lot of problems.  He has frustrated a ton of missionaries because he just doesnt applu anything.  I got the feeling to reteach about God and his divine potential.  I taught the bulk of the lesson.  My sentences were very simple, but I think he actually felt the Spirit.  It was also nice because we had a member there who help translate his mumble and Osaka bin.  Also, FYI I am in Ibaraki. It is more inland and about an hour away from Kyoto.  We are going sightseeing today.
 
Anyway, as I said, it is so hot.  Well, when it gets hot, my face gets so red!  The Japanese, do not sweat.  They wear long sleeves in this weather and are completely fine.  But they take pity on me and my exhausted red face.  Therefore, we had one random person on the street buy us ice cream and and two people offer to buy us drinks.  The other day, we rode our bike to a lesson.  It was all uphill and took 1.5 hours.  It was so hard.  People just stared at me when we arrived because my face was literally almost purple.  Also, I don't know if you realized this, but streeting in Japan is kind of hard.  No one believes in God and doesn't have a clue who Jesus Christ is.  It is quite different then most other missions.  The restoration is usually the first lesson for most missions, but here we have to establish the fact that God is their loving Heavenly Father.
 
But the Japanese are very respectful and nice.  My companion says that they always stare at me, but I haven't really noticed it yet.  I sometime forget how tall I am compared to them until I take a picture or go to give them a hug. Anyway, yesterday during church we gave a mission fireside.  It was during their linger longer and no one was listening.  Kids were running around and the adults were talking.  They announced we had a message to share and my companions started talking but it was still so noisy.  Then it was my turn and I was just reading a quote in romaji.  About two sentences in, the whole room goes dead silent.  Even the children were so quite and still.  They were all trying to figure out what I was saying probably and felt so bad for me.  My face turned red while speaking and it was just a tad embarrassing  but at least it got everyone to quite down.  But I have noticed that throughout Japan.  My companions are fluent, and when we go streeting, I am afraid to talk so I let them do the talking.  Most people just want to leave as soon as they start talking.  But when I finally get up the courage to say two to three sentences, everyone stops and listens and actually considers what I say.  Its kind of cool, but sad at the same time because I know they are only listening so intently because they cant understand me and they want so much to help me with the language.
 
Also, Iwamoto Shimai is a little lady in the ward.  Her and her husband always help out with lessons.  I think she had adopted me as her child.  On Saturday, she dressed us up in Kimonos and we stopped by at a little festival and a middle school.  Everyone stared at me as a tall blond in a Japanese traditional outfit.  But it was a lot of fun.  Iwamoto just loved seeing me in it.  She is so cute and is always helping me with my Japanese.
 
Anyway, I hope you have a great week and enjoy the weather in Newport and then in San Fran.  I love you all and thanks so much for writing me.
 
I love you!
 
Martha
 
PS Sorry if you don't get a letter right away.  Ill try to write everyone eventually, but I dont have a lot of time.  Please forgive me.

The ice cream they bought her
A beautiful park in the area she's in 
Dressed in traditional clothes 


No comments:

Post a Comment