Tuesday, July 23, 2013

JAPAN!



This e-mail from Martha is great. She's adjusting and having some fun while she's at it. 

Hi family!!
 
I guess a lot has changed over this past week.  Since there are so many sisters who are coming in, one sister now has to train two sisters.  So I am with Long Shimai from West Jordan (she's been out for about a year) and Shin Shimai from Korea (2nd transfer but is bascially fluent in Japanese because the grammar is the same).  We are in North Osaka.  It basically looks like a typical city.  However, Kyoto isn:t far so one of these p-days well get to go there!  But so far my companions seem great and we get along really well.
 
So, here are the hardest adjustments for me so far.  1) I cant understand a word anyone is saying.  We have one investigator who mumbles and speaks Osaka bin (slang) so that doesn't help.  He has a lot of issues like depression and tons of other things, so this past lesson we told him to take a vacation from his problems- naturally that was my idea.  Don't worry, we tied it in with the atonement. 2) I have never been in a constant sweat until now.  It is so hot and sticky and humid, but there is no AC.  You expect to be refreshed when you walk into a building, but rather it is even more stuffy and hot.  Cold showers have never been so delightful.  There is AC but it is turned on room by room and we hardly ever turn it on in our apartment.  My apartment is really nice though.  The nicest in the mission and actually quite large.  3) Not a fan of seaweed.  They put it with everything.  Why? I had mizo soup.  That was a struggle to finish.  Tofu, mushroom that I thought were noodles until I bit into them, and seaweed.  Not fish yet though except for tuna.  They know we don:t like seafood so they feed us chicken.  However they serve so much and it is rude not to eat everything.  I almost explode every time and I cant eat for the next couple of meals. 3) Everyone asks where my ancestors are from because Im so tall.  Long shimai has just started saying I'm from russia and a pro vball player.  People think thats the coolest thing. I cant even stop her though because I cant speak japanese.
 
Our mission seems really cool.  The zinkes have done a ton.  He runs this place like a business.  He has so many handbooks.  One for the mission, one for streeting and teaching, and one for the language.  He has the whole mission prayer to see how many sheep are ready and prepared to hear the gospel.  We have to find those sheep instead of trying to talk to millions of people for just anyone.  Ask and ye shall receive.  My area currently has 7 sheep ready.  J San (speaks English!) has a baptisimal date for Aug 25.  He is just one of the nicest people.
 
Anyway, thanks for all of the emails and birthday wishes!  Sorry I don:t have more time on the computer.  I have more time to write hand written letters so Ill try and get some of those off.  I hope everyone has a great week and I love you all!
 
Ellsworth Shimai

On the plane ride over
Some of the lovely food she looks forward to eating....ha 
Celebrating her birthday in the mission home!
All the large bugs in Japan that she hates
Miso Soup with seaweed on top 
These 7th grade girls all thought she was a professional v-ball player
The toilets have a hand washing station on top 
Where she sleeps!

2 comments:

  1. yeah martha!!! she'll get used to all the crazy foods - or pray that she does! i'm sure the fan is pointing right to her bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I can't stop laughing at that toilet! What an awesome way to utilize space!

    ReplyDelete